Thursday, April 2, 2015

Wrestlemania... not my kinda thing.

This past Sunday, I was tricked.

I was out having a “Sunday Funday” if you will, with some friends, when one of my guy friends mentioned that we should head over another friend’s house to “hang out.” It was early in the day so four of my girl friends and I looked at each other and said “hm, sure why not!” We arrive at the house, full of all guys (expect for two girls who were there with their boyfriends… they also probably got tricked). The entire basement was full of pizza, wings, and beer. I should have known to run away, but it was too late.

I got sucked into a Wrestlemania party.



I decided to attempt to make the best of it, so I grabbed a beer and pretended the whole idea of watching wrestling wasn’t making me cringe. Before the show started, one guy came in the front door, the other guys started yelling some sort of foreign language (associated with wrestling I guess) at him, and he took off his shirt, grabbed two beers, slammed them together and poured beer all over himself. Again, I should have known to run away.

The whole atmosphere was weird. I have never seen so many guys excited to see other guys in underwear.

Anyways, the show begins. The whole thing was just bizarre. People pretending to hit each other, throwing ladders around, pretending to be knocked out. I mean one guy pretended to get hit, stood all the way up, just so he could fall down and pretend to be knocked out. Weird. But my guy friends were going insane, they loved every bit of it. They took bets about who was going to win and talked about how awesome certain wrestlers were. All the while I just wanted to know, what’s the point??

I think that the problem with these wrestling shows are that guys take them too seriously. Most of the major, overly sexist scenes seemed to have stopped, but there are still subliminal messages. I came across a video of a guy doing WWE moves on girls. It was titled Brutal WWE Moves on Girls. The reason behind the fighting, was because the girl did not like the color blue and the guy likes to wear the color blue (*sigh*). Anyways, he throws them into a pool, so it’s “safe”, but this is still not a safe thing for anyone of any gender to be doing. I found this video because one of my guy friends posted it on twitter, with the caption “RELATIONSHIP GOALS!!!” You’re relationship goals are to throw your girlfriend around and choke slam her….what??



Another issue with this, is that guys think it’s funny to reenact the scenes they see. After a while everyone was beginning to get drunk and started “pretending” to do these moves on one another. The problem is, these “professional” wrestlers practice pretending these moves A LOT before they actually go out there and do it. This results in people getting hurt. Just because we know it’s fake on the TV, does not make it okay to “pretend” to do these things in real life, it’s simply not the same and I think a lot of guys have a hard time making that realization. And let me mention, the guys I watched this with are in their mid-late 20’s, so it’s not just young boys that this stuff affects.

I ended up making my great escape after the girls fight. Two teams of two, pulling each other’s hair and pretending to hit each other while wearing belly shirts was just too much for me. My friend Moe actually yelled from the other side of the room, “HAHA Alley, you look so disgusted!” He was right. I was extremely confused and slightly disgusted by the fact that hundreds of thousands of people pay real money to watch this stuff.


I think in the future, I’ll just stick to brunches with my girl friends on Sundays. No one gets choke slammed at brunch...well usually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment